Monday, September 19, 2011

My Second Scar

Last night during supper, I felt under my chin and was reminded of my second scar.  I had forgotten about it over the years.  I smiled and looked at the girls.

"Did you know I have a scar here?"  I lifted my head and pointed to the thin line.

They were surprised and shook their head "No"

I told them my story.

   "When Missi and I were young, Grandpa Moe remodeled our old, square, pink house.  He ripped out the carpet in the living room and replaced the floor boards with wood - you know the orange kind, speckles?"

They knew what I was talking about. 

"It was perfect for rollerskating.  I had those rollerskates that strapped on to my shoes and was rollering around the living room like nobody's business.  Only I wanted to go faster.  So I had Missi push me.  And she did.  And I fell.  The only thing I remember is the bang on my jaw and looking at it in the bathroom mirror with your aunt."

I don't remember how old I was but it was before the  dog bite. I don't remember actually getting the stitches or having stitches.  I just remember the feeling of the thud and the sound of my sister crying because "she" hurt me.

No comments: