What finally hooked the kids on this book, Ojibwe in Minnesota, was the boarding schools.
They were mortified. They quoted Anton Treuer's writing in outrage -
- Mrs. Aakhus,' Kill the Indian in him and save the man'. They said that
- They didn't even know their parents when they came home.
- They wouldn't even send them home if they had died.
- They didn't even know the same language as their parents.
- They didn't have a role model, Mrs. Aakhus, they didn't have their parents.
My students' compassion is awakening. Maybe they will learn with more compassion and see the young boy (from my previous post) patting the book in the far off corner, too.