Sunday, December 7, 2008

How I became a teacher....

When the girls started going to school, I found myself volunteering at school. I watched the teachers and remembered how, at one time, I was that close to receiving my degree.

To make a long story short, I figured I had my degree until two weeks before graduation. I called the school and ask why I hadn't heard anything about the commencement ceremony. I wasn't graduating.

After enough volunteering at school, I got offered a job at the school as a paraprofessional helping students and teachers within the classroom. One afternoon, they were desperate. One of the teachers was ill and their substitute became ill. They asked me to sub. Because I wasn't a licenced teacher, they opened the partition between the second grade rooms and made the other second grade teacher the official teacher in the room while I taught my lesson, and she taught hers.

At the end of the day, the principal stopped me and told me that she was glad I could help, but this situation would never happen again.

Then she turned to me and said, "You know, you'd better go back. You've got to decide if this is something you want or not."

The next day, I called Shawn Soderberg at MSUM records office and discussed my course of action. I was enrolled at Minnesota State University Moorhead January 2007.

I was on my way.

No comments: