Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Shiny, Happy People





This week, I showed some of my class periods the new video I downloaded from Itunes. "Shiny Happy People" by REM. I couldn't find the real video to embed, so I found "Furry Happy Monsters" on here!!

Some of the students got up and danced. Some of the students sat in their desks mortified at the music choice of their teacher. Some of the students were mortified.

"Mrs. Aakhus, this song is creepy."

"Look! Mrs. Aakhus... how can this song be happy when they're making that old man do all the work in the background." (Of course, you don't see this on this video... but on the real REM video.)

"Mrs. Aakhus... look that one guy was a unibrow."

Most of the students liked the girl from the B52s.

I tried to explain that this song is ironic.

"What?"

This song's title comes from an old Chinese propaganda poster "Shiny Happy People' REM used this slogan as their song after Tiananmen Square in 1989.

Now, I just have to explain what happened in Tiananmen Square.

No comments: