Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Choosing What Matters



Of course, now that I'm pushing healthy on my kids.  I notice all the candy everywhere - and how darn hard it is to find healthy things on the road.  I pack a lot of snacks. 

Our staples include -

Yogurt
apples
cheese strings
peanuts
carrots
celery
oranges
ham sandwiches
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

Much to the kids' disappointment these are never included in my snack bag -

rice crispy bars
Little Debbie Snacks
Apple Pie
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Hershey Bars

Last night, Missi's youngest celebrated her fifth birthday.  I made sure they saved their unhealthy snack for cake - they really thought I was cruel.

A lot of  other parents probably think I'm crazy, but I think they are crazy.  Really, pop tarts for breakfast?  Really?  Really?

 I'm having trouble watching the junk food being stuffed into faces... and the excuses -

"Oh we're on vacation  - one little treat doesn't matter."  Down goes the super size Dairy Queeen Blizzard....

Oh dear.

I have to remember that I'm new at this - I'm a born-again-nutritionist.  I have to have patience for those who aren't on the same page as me - and keep pushing my own family to choose what really matters.

No comments: