Monday, November 8, 2010

Broccoli

I think the scariest thing that ever happened to me was becoming a mother.  I mean - come on...  It's a lot of work.  Breastfeeding my baby had to have been the hardest things ever.  It looks so easy - but heavens no!  It ain't so.

For eight and a half months, I was sick to my stomach.  As soon as I had that darling in my arms, I was so hungry.  It felt so good to be hungry!

The first food they  brought up to me from the kitchen included chicken, pudding, potatoes, and ta da! Broccoli!

It tasted so yummy.

(If you know anything about breastfeeding, you probably did a little gasp when you read the word broccoli...)

I had known better in my well-rested life before becoming a mom.  But, in my tired as ever state - I had forgotten what was said about the gastro-effects of broccoli - until about 3am  in the morning when Natalie was crying her eyes out...

And the room had a distinct broccoli smell.

I knew two things at that moment.

1. My baby had been eating enough.

2.  Not to eat broccoli until she was done nursing.

Last night, we were enjoying one of Nat's favorite meals in honor of her birthday...  I took a  look at the meal and smirked at Nat -
"Guess what I forgot to make for you?"

She paused between bites. 

"Broccoli"

She gave me the stink eye but a smile cracked as she looked down at her rice.

2 comments:

dbkliv said...

Stick some olive oil and a bit of butter into a pan. Heat them up and mix nicely. Throw in some fennel seeds, toast for 20-30 seconds. Take your cut up broccoli and put it in the pan. Toss stuff around.

Sautee the broccoli for a few minutes, then add a splash or two of water, put on the lid, and remove from heat. Let it steam while you prepare the rest of your dinner.

Me said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm thinking I'll make it before the next November 7th - but also every November 7th.