Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Facing a Nightmare

For the past four months, we have been fighting our own war for both my sister's and mother's lives.  Each battle has been in our favor so far.  I am so grateful for that.

A little over a week ago, my husband sent me  a link.  A young father, who is a soldier, lost his life in Afghanistan.  I saw his name and realized it was the older brother of a past student in Fosston.  It took my breath away realizing our biggest fear had come true for them - they had lost a their sibling, their son, their father, and a husband. They were facing my nightmares -

I always liked this family.  I sat with this soldier's parents one evening on a fan bus.  They were some of the nicest people I ever met.  I really enjoyed their son in my classroom, and I loved hearing their stories of their family.  Just real home spun people - - very modest and knew what was important in life to them - family, hobbies, God, and travel.  I talked so much to them I nearly wore myself out from all my laughter.

In a T.V. interview, the soldier's dad said that he was sad to lose his son, but he knew where his son is now, and that was a comfort, but he felt so bad that his grandchildren lost their father.  I get that.


No comments: