Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I'm Using This! - Something that Doesn't Matter


 A young girl  posted this picture on facebook.  I poked around on the internet and found that this was an actual photo of an actual CNN news story.

I see this as a perfect springboard to many classroom assignments.

Journals -

Are Americans Superficial?
What is newsworthy?

Comparison/Contrast Papers -

Compare news stories from previous decades to now.
Compare and contrast different news organizations.
Compare and contrast what different chip bags and their noisiness (ha just kidding - CNN has already done that for us.)

I'm sure this just begins to cover what we could do with news stories like this - I'd like my students to bring in pictures and news articles like this so we could make fun of them - I think it's a lesson on priorities and what's important in life.   What should we focus on?  What do we prioritize? 

And also,  it's good to see someone young be critical of superficial priorities, isn't it?  Yay girl - you bring me hope.





No comments: