Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Don't Laugh at Me

This week at school, I've been teaching a Bully Unit based on a unit my cooperating teacher in Thief River Falls taught last year. I found an article on bullying from lifescript.com and printed it out for them. We used a reading strategy called SQ3R and read the article and discussed bullies in school and on the internet.

After reading the article together and demonstrating how to use the SQ3R method, we discussed bullies and what to do about them. Some of the students were brave and shared how hurtful it was when they were the teased. Some of the bullies apologized to their victims. I was a little overwhelmed with their reactions.

One of my favorite teaching strategies is to find a video that connects to the theme of the lesson of the day. Today, I showed a video of Peter, Paul, and Mary's "Don't Laugh at Me."I love the video, and it brings tears to my eyes almost every time I watch it. I noticed tears in some of my students too.

No comments: