Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mean Girls



Quotes from Mean Girls, or some girls in Natalie's class. Or some girls at school...

The thing is... this seems outrageous. Doesn't it? However, bullying like this happens all the time. Words like this are spoken at the drop of a hat.

Nice. Or not.

Cady: [voiceover] Ms. Norbury had us write out apologies to people we'd hurt in our lifes.
Michigan Girl: Alyssa, I'm sorry I called you a gap-toothed bitch. Is not your fault you're so gap-toothed


Regina: Oh my God, I love your skirt! Where did you get it?
Lea Edwards: It was my mom's in the '80s.
Regina: Vintage, so adorable.
Lea Edwards: Thanks.
Regina: [after girl walks away] That is the ugliest f-ing skirt I've ever seen.




Mrs. George: [serving the Plastics fruit drinks] Hey, you guys! Happy hour is from four to six!
Cady: Um, is there alcohol in this?
Mrs. George: Oh, God, honey, no! What kind of mother do you think I am? Why, do you want a little bit? Because if you're going to drink I'd rather you do it in the house.



Cady: Half the people in this room are mad at me, and the other half only like me because they think I pushed somebody in front a bus, so that's not good.

1 comment:

EDK said...

Ah, things haven't changed much from what I remember from my childhood - but that was a long time ago. The issues were different, the language cleaner, and the names less sexually connotative. And perhaps the whole thing was less intense, but the ill will was there. I can't believe that this is confined to girls, though. Boys, too, have their "rites of passage." Preteen and teen years have always been difficult. Probably much of it is due to the edgy, off-kilter feelings caused by the uncontrolable rapid bodily changes. One thing parents can do to alleviate those feelings is to talk openly about the changes and the feelings that come with them. Many children do not dare talk to adults about such things. EDK