Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween...

I will always be creeped out by Halloween. I think it stems back to the Halloween movies. Now, my mom and dad were pretty protective, but for some reason, we had HBO and when mom's rheumatoid acted up any TV channel was free game. So my sister and I watched pretty much whatever we wanted.

Another thing that freaked me out is that Red Lake Falls was a wild town back in the day. I mean WILD. Like kids riding-around-the-back-of-pick-ups-yelling-at-little-kids and-old-ladies wild. Red Lake County was so wild that Brooks teens burned down their school. Red Lake county was so wild that the Oklee School janitor would stand guard Halloween night to protect the school. This is not a hyperbole.

One year, a particular wild group decided to burn down deserted homes. Our house was a century old and at the time pink. Metal siding pink. Our house was very, very ugly before my parents remodeled it. I remember hearing my parents whisper about the arson that night. I must have been about Allie's age. I was so scared that I cried so hard I hyperventilated.

My mom had to sleep with me that night.

Things have calmed down quite a bit in Red Lake Falls. Thank Goodness. I need my sleep.

No comments: