Friday, July 16, 2010

Love the Way You Lie



I'm not all that hip.  I know surprising... isn't it?  For some reason, I was listening to this on the radio - and I was enjoying the meter, rhythm, and rhyme....  I know - what a dork right?  Then, at the end I heard it was a song by Eminem and Rihanna.


"Love the Way You Lie" tells the story of domestic violence. Rihanna's character in the song is the victim, Eminem's character is the abuser.  When I first listened to the song, I jumped to the conclusion that the artist was using irony and satire.  Eminem's character playing the typical "wife beater," and Rihanna's character giving her lover every excuse in the book.

When Eminem first came out, I thought he was a misogynist pig.  I didn't get the satire at all.  Many others didn't and still don't.  I'm not a more sophisticated rap enthusiast.  I've just had more life experiences.

I've clicked my tongue as a gal or two told me how their significant other was so perfect and kind.  I've cheered too many times thinking they would leave the abusive MO FO only to see the truck parked in the driveway the next morning.

I wouldn't have understood the irony of Rihanna's chorus while I  grit my teeth wondering when they'll finally see what they do to themselves. 

No comments: