Monday, July 19, 2010

Reading

I passed out Reading Inventories today to find that none of my students admit to reading outside of class much less in class.  Sigh...  I tried to subtly point out the fact that this might have something to do with not passing the reading portion of their Reading Grad test.  I don't think it worked.

So, this is what I told them.

1.  Of course, we need to pass this test.

2.  Reading is good for us.

And when all else fails ..

3.  Make it or fake it.  - In order to comprehend what one reads - a  person either has to make a purpose for reading it - or fake it.

I've talked about good ole #3 before.  Teachers, bosses, grandparents, and just about anyone will hand something to us at some point in our lives.  And for goodness sake, there comes a time when we have to read it - because that person is expecting us to.  At this time, FAKE a reason to read it - We should talk ourselves into loving it...  Change our attitudes about what we are reading...

Yes dearies - in other words, it means opening our minds to something new we never thought we'd care to know about.

No comments: