Thursday, January 29, 2009

It all started when I ran over my glasses....


Last friday as I drove to school, I put on my sunglasses. When I got to school, I couldn't find my regular glasses. I hoped they were in my purse. When class started, I reached into my purse and didn't find them. I searched every nook and cranny.

During my prep, I ran to the store and took one last look for my glasses. I got out of my car and looked down. There they were right under the car tire. And so... there I am in my glasses.

Saturday was a perfect day with Jason drinking tea in coffee shops and browsing photos in a photo show. We went to the movie "Gran Torino" staring Clint Eastwood. I loved the movie. I fell in love with Clint Eastwood. Of course, I started making connections to "The Outsiders" and wondered if my students watched the movie too. My mind always works that way.

Sunday. Well. Sunday was not a perfect day. Our pipes were frozen. I couldn't wash dishes nor clothes. In the meantime, Jason was going to fix the brakes of my mini-van, and I helped him clear a space in the garage for my big red beast. As I ran outside to get something out of the van, I fell on some ice and landed on my big red bum. I felt every vertebrae jar into the other. I looked at J and said "I felt that."


Later that night, I washed dishes. The pipes in the kitchen thawed. I eyed the pile of clothes sitting by my washer. The pile was high. So high I knew we were desperate.

I walked over to the washer and put my fingers down the "out" pipe. The water was so cold. I took a stick and slushed it around and added more hot water. That water was going no where.

Finally, Jason and I devised a plan. I filled the washing machine with all the necessaries. I let the machine go through its regular cycle. When it was time for the water to drain, I took the hose and connected it to a longer hose and had the water empty into a rubbermaid container. Then, I pulled the rubbermaid container and emptied it bucket by bucket into the sink.

I was feeling pretty smart.

As I was doing my third load of laundry, I held on to the hose with one hand and folded some laundry with the other. I smugly smiled at my cleverness. When it came time for the water to drain, I clasped at the hose, but suddenly, the hose disconnected and started flingly wildly. Water flew at me at all directions. Water was leaking on to the floor.

Everything was a mess.

And so there I stood, mopping the water up when I suddenly heard the gurgle of water. Water draining from the out pipe down into our septic tank. The pipes had finally thawed.

Mother Nature had the last laugh after all.

No comments: