Monday, August 11, 2008

Climbing Mountains

I found this on Paulo Coehlo's blog this morning while browsing. Very beautiful and inspiring as usual his writing makes me sigh....

I thought about when I went back to school. I was very overwhelmed and scared. I felt intimidated. There was just something there that made me want to be there. My first round of college I was intimidated also. I didn't join many clubs nor did I put a lot of thought into my classes. I sort of coasted my way and skipped many classes. I used to have nightmares (surprise surprise) about taking courses and forgetting to go all semester and showing up for the final without any idea about the subject matter.

The second time around. I only missed three classes and that is because of actual blizzards. I had to be convinced by my professors not to come. The difference was that I was twelve years older and paying for the courses out of my own checkbook. The difference was that I was a mom with girls and a husband rooting me on.

I took each path day by day. I never looked too far a head because it would be overwhelming. I decided the 180 mile round-trip drive was a wonderful journey. When class would meet, I made friends with a lot of the younger students. Sometimes, I even forgot that I was at least ten years older than most of them. I even started to listen to some hip hop on my way to school.

At the end of the year, I made sure all my loose ends were tied. I made sure every i was dotted and every t crossed. The workers in the registrars office got to know me by name. It was worth it. I went through the ceremony, and received my diploma in the mail. A few weeks ago, I even received my license- my license to teach. The view from the top of my mountain was beautiful... I may have been sidetracked, but when I finally finished my climb, I was celebrating that much more!


No comments: