Friday, July 29, 2011

Looking Out for Each Other.

This weekend, mom and I are taking Missi's son - her oldest to see her down in Rochester.  Ethan has had to put up with a lot this summer.  First of all, he misses his mom.  He worries about her a lot.  And this world has been put upside down while his aunt (me) has been on his case constantly with his diabetes.  Also, I've been giving his house an extreme makeover to prepare for the sterile environment his mom will need when she gets home.  He's watched me throw out so many of his family's personal belongings.  It ain't easy being E.

A week and a half ago, my doctor recommended me not drinking Diet Coke. I've loved my Diet Coke habit for the past awww  ? 22 years?  I knew with all the health issues in my family that I'd have to give up drinking pop, so when the gastroentoeolgist recommended I quit Diet Coke, I agreed.

The next day, I was going to buy a Diet Coke - to slowly taper off my habit.  Ethan was with me..

"What are you doing?" 

"I'm buying a Diet Coke."

"uh uh uh uhhhhh....." he shook his finger at me.  He was insistant.

So, I bought some water instead - because sometimes I'm an idiot who buys water in plastic bottles.

Yesterday, Ethan stopped me as I was putting some garbage away. 

"Bobbi ?  When we go to Rochester, and I'm mad at you - could you not ask me to check my blood sugar?"

At first, I looked at him like he was crazy - because most of the time when he's owly it's because there's an issue with his blood sugar.  But then, I got it.  Sometimes, people need to be respected.  Sometimes, he must be mad that his anger is only perceived as a blood sugar issue rather than something he might have a right to be angry for. 

"Well, Ethan, I get it. Sometimes, you have a right to be angry.  What do I do if I'm really worried about you?   If there seems to be a reason you are angry with me, and it seems unreasonable, is it okay if I ask you if you think you should check your blood sugar?"

"Okay." 

I guess he thought he won there.

1 comment:

Safety-Lady said...

You are a wonderful woman who self-lessly thinks of others and E (and your entire family) are blessed to have you. It's a tough/long journey when a loved one is ill but you face it which such grace, humor and strength. I admire you! May God bless you and your efforts!