Thursday, October 6, 2011

What We Want You to Know...

The past few weeks, I've been avoiding writing what I really wanted to write about.  I asked my mom if I could write everything I knew about her colon cancer, and she told me she wanted everyone she cared about to take care of themselves.  She couldn't bear the thought of anyone she loves or cares about going through what she is going through.


I've been avoiding writing about it because it's very personal to my mom and family, and let's face it, it's not very classy talking about intestinal function.  

Since Christmas time, my mom hadn't been feeling well.  A few years ago, she had lap-band surgery to try and lose weight.  She had lost weight but since had had some digestive issues.  Frequently over the past SEVERAL years, she had an upset stomach and over the years had been treated for Irritable Bowel Syndrome.   She had colonoscopies and nothing abnormal had been found.

The upset stomach intensified over the weeks after Christmas and between dad, Missi and me, there were several visits to the emergency room because of pain.  One Sunday morning, my mom called and begged me to bring her in to the emergency room.   I found a sub for my Sunday School class and headed out the door.  We spent the entire morning in the hospital.  At some point, the doctor asked us the doctor asked if we felt she needed a CT scan.  WE SHOULD HAVE SAID YES. I think I even said out loud;

"It's not like she has Colon Cancer or something."

He sent her home with pain medication.

I look back at this missed opportunity and cringe every time.


No comments: