Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Church Lady Lick the Bowl Salad/ AKA Popcorn Salad

The other day, I made a "salad' for a fundraiser for our voluntary ambulance and the senior meal site. The Presbyterian ladies make this fundraiser every year and various groups decorate a table with a fun theme and bring a "salad" Then, they sell the tickets for $10 a pop and raise money for a worthy cause. I was part of the Girl Scout table with my friends Stacy and Maureen.

I made this salad;

1 1/4 cup divided, shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 - 3/4 cup mayo (I used Miracle Whip; I don't like Mayo)
2 tablespoons fresh chives
10 slices of bacon
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1 cup chopped celery
6 cups popcorn

Fry the bacon, drain and crumble. Add 1/2 cup of the bacon in a bowl add the mayo, 1 cup cheese, 1 cup celery, carrots, chives and mix. When you are ready to serve, and only when you are ready to serve, add the popcorn and mix. Use the extra bacon and cheese for garnish.

When the meal was done, I took my bowl and headed for home. Some of the church ladies stopped me.

"You made the popcorn salad?"

"Why, yes I did."

"Can we try it?"

"Of course."

Right there on the street, these dignified ladies took my spoon and helped themselves to the scraps off my bowl. They made noises when they were eating. If I hadn't been holding on to the bowl, they would have licked the sides.

I'm serious.

No comments: