Thursday, September 2, 2010

I"m there...

Our local school district has not made AYP. (Annual Yearly Progress).  Bummer.  A HUGE part of me thinks big deal - who cares?  I've got a thumb to the nose attitude regarding No Child Left Behind - if you haven't noticed.

But I know that we can't do that.  We have to figure out a way to get our kids' genius measured on those Fill-In-The-Bubble-Tests.  When I got the letter in the mail, I thought "Whatevs - I'll ask to be on the committee and offer my support - no biggie."

After I went on the Minnesota's Department of Education's website, I knew that the district really needed help figure out "This-Is-How-The-Test-Makers-Think"  Only 43% of Natalie's  class filled in the bubbles correctly. 

I called the girls' Principal and asked her what I could do to help.  She asked me to be on the school's AYP Committee.  I told I would and that I had been on Fosston's  AYP committee.  (Don't click on that link unless you really care to see my name and you're really interested in AYP materials)

Even though I really hate  those Fill-In-The-Bubble-Tests I know how the test-makers think -

1.  Pick out reading material kids think is boring

2.  Make four possible answers that are very similar.

3.  From those four questions, make the kids decide which wording makes the best answer.

and last but not least...

4. Smile smugly when the kids don't get it.

No comments: