Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sauce

Today's project was sauce. It had been two years since I made sauce - maybe even three. 

What made me the happiest is that it came back - the wonderful science/miracle of  homemade spaghetti sauce.

First, one must wash the tomatoes - but grrr....  mi camera will not let me post that pic  so... 

Let's pretend that this is me washing tomatoes....


Then, blanch the tomatoes - this will help with peeling  and coring the tomatoes.  Blanch in boiling water for three minutes - not one, not two, but THREE minutes mister.




You're tomatoes will look like this...







Don't worry - this is what  some tomatoes look like when they're from a garden.

Put the tomatoes in some cold water.


Peel and core the tomatoes -


Puree the tomatoes in a blender.  Woo hoo... or a food processor - but I just happen to think a blender is easier to clean...










 Put pureed tomatoes in a pot- along with seasonings and some sugar - some people sift threw the seeds and pulp - but I like the seeds - I've tried that and it makes me think of ketchup...  (YUCK)










After boiling your sauce and letting it simmer for twenty-five minutes - put it in sterilized jars and process for 40 minutes!!!


And magically - you have canned sauce...
 

1 comment:

EDK said...

Aha! A saucy Minnesota Lady!